Fort St. Angelos
Fort St. Angelos is in the west of Kannur town is a massive triangular laterite fort, replete with a moat and flanking bastions. It was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida, with the permission of the Kolathiris. It was then captured by the Dutch in 1663 before they sold it to Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790 it came into the possession of the British. The British then rebuilt it and it was their most important station in Malabar. This fort is in a fairly good state of preservation, though parts of it have collapsed. The fort is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India.
The best part of this Fort is that it is presently being maintained very well by the Govt. of India (Archaeology dept.) You have to pass through the Military cantonment area to reach the Fort. There is a calm and quiet atmosphere in the Fort and not very crowded also. There are no shops either inside or outside except a small Food court near the entrance and shop for snacks cool drinks. A well maintained garden is surrounding the fort with greens and flowers all over. The Arabian Sea is in the rear side border of the Fort.